File size: 492.6 kb
Access to Finance Rwanda (AFR) was established in 2010 as a not-for-profit Company Limited by Guarantee (CLG), with the main objective of facilitating an inclusive financial sector that benefits the livelihood of low income people in Rwanda. AFR is part of the Financial Sector Deepening (FSD) Network in Africa. Existing Funders of AFR include DFID, the MasterCard Foundation, Sweden and USAID.
AFR’s strategic objective is to reduce relative and absolute poverty in Rwanda. To do this, it stimulates financial sector development by partnering with financial institutions and other stakeholders to increase access to and use of financial services. We identify and address constraints that prevent the financial market from reaching Rwanda’s low-income population, and promote innovations and learning that result in sustainable change in the financial sector. Improving access and usage of financial services for the rural poor, women, disadvantaged, youth, and refugees is a particular focus.
The Head of Finance for Growth will have the overall responsibility to identify constraints which real sectors in the economy face and prioritise actions on those which the financial sector can actually affect thus embedding a clearer view of how the financial sector engages the real economy. This will be deeply grounded in the evolving market systems’ approach, which recognises the role of different players such as public and private institutions as well as civil society in shaping financial market institutions and outcomes. Innovative financing mechanisms will be proposed that can ultimately lead to inclusive growth.
The staff will ensure that a comprehensive portfolio of impactful projects are developed and implemented to high standards. This includes leading the development of Leasing, Export Finance, SME and Agribusiness Financing strategies as well as Capital Market Development.
Reporting line: The position reports to the Director of Programs.
|Scope of Responsibilities|
The Head of Finance for Growth will be responsible for the following key tasks:
1. Co-ordinate research in order to understand the ecosystem of the Finance for Growth pillar and inform intervention frameworks
2. Lead the development of Leasing, Export Finance, SME and Agribusiness Financing strategies as well as strategies for more general Capital Market Development; ensuring that logical theories of change are defined and kept updated
3. Develop and manage a portfolio of Implementing Partners and Projects which will collectively be effective in driving impact & systemic change
4. Coordinate the roll-out of projects so that results are achieved, risks are managed and that quality projects are delivered; ensuring that learning from projects is fully utilised to maximise impact and innovation
5. Actively participate in the development and implementation of AFR’s Communications and Knowledge Management plans; ensuring that the plans will result in widespread uptake of Finance for Growth Solutions and mindset change of the stakeholders who control the enabling environment for the Financial Markets Development space
6. Lead the Finance for Growth team and Stakeholders, in a manner that empowers them to deliver AFR’s goals and objectives
|Education and Qualifications|
1. Relevant Accreditations and Professional Qualifications and (Masters level qualification in Development Finance, Economics, Finance, Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment (CISI) or other relevant qualifications)
2. Certification in Project Management (PMP/ PRINCE2) or Post Graduate diploma Project Management would be an added advantage.
|Relevant Skills and Professional Experience|
1. 15 years of working experience in a financial markets environment (e.g. investment banking or development finance), with a strong track record in capital markets and/or exposure to project finance, private equity, corporate finance and SMEs Support
2. Knowledge of global regulation in financial markets; ability to understand the financial policy, laws and regulations in Rwanda
3. Good general knowledge of good accounting practice and high ethical & financial standards for managing funds
4. Successful track record of negotiating financing transactions and crowding in Foreign Direct Investments (FDI).
5. Strong stakeholder management skills, with a track record of building sound relationships with a range of international and domestic partners, including senior government members and Officials.
6. Experience in Strategic Planning, Risk Management, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (M&EL).
7. Understanding and appreciation of market system strengthening programs (e.g. M4P). Experience in strategy development and Execution, Investment Analysis and Management
8. Industry level experience from a developed financial center and some development country experience is an added advantage
9. Confidence in overseeing and steering evidence generation, knowledge management and sharing
10. Experience of managing and analysing research
11. Understanding of the development world & strategic Measurement and Results Management (MRM)
12. Has gravitas, credibility and ability to initiate and develop strategic partnerships and alliances
13. Excellent written and spoken English
|How to Apply|
All qualified applicants should submit their applications through Job in Rwanda using the following link; https://www.jobinrwanda.com/job/head_finance_growth_0 by the 01st May 2020 at 5.00pm Central African Time (CAT) clearly indicating in the Subject line: Application for Head of Finance for Growth.
The application should contain a CV with e-mail address, daytime telephone contact, qualifications, achievements, experience and names & addresses of three referees together with a cover letter (maximum 2 pages) summarising why you consider yourself particularly well suited for the position. Do not attach any other documents at this point.
All applications will be selected on merit and only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews. For any questions regarding the application process please contact Job in Rwanda at: firstname.lastname@example.org during working hours only from 8:00AM to 4:00PM.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
Note: This position is open to local, regional and international candidates with relevant experience and qualifications.